Thursday, March 11, 2010

Six Things I Love in the Kitchen

I was thinking today about how certain little things really make the difference when you are working in the kitchen. None of the items I picked for the post cost a lot, but they are really terrific to have on hand.

In no order of importance --

Hand-held Immersion Blender is great for pureeing things right in the cooking pot preventing terrible blender accidents with hot soup! Also, this is a great tool for making salad dressings.















A Japanese Vegetable Knife is my one and only favorite, favorite knife. I love this style of knife so much that the first thing I left at my SO's was not a tooth brush but one of these. It's wrapped up in a special towel and kept in a drawer. I take mine to the a grinder every three months to have it professionally sharpened.


















A cookbook stand/holder is also a must have. Ugh! I can't stand fumbling around with trying to measure things and hold down a book. Also, the stand keeps the pages from getting destroyed by spills, etc. -- although, I confess, I sort of like my cookbooks to show a little wear and tear (or, as I call it "love").
















Next up is my favorite baking tool, the Silpat! Put this down on your cookie pan and you will never have trouble cleaning up that pan again.















My newest favorite is "The Ove Glove". When I first saw these, they certainly looked gimmicky. But, after we got the meat smoker and SO was trying to take things in and out with little potholders, I took the plunge and bought him a couple. It works great and I got jealous and bought one for myself.

















And, finally we have the Microplane grater. What a truly stupendous invention for the quick grating of cheese, chocolate or lemon zest. Forget the old box style grater!! This is really a great little tool.













So there you have it -- a little roundup of some of my faves -- and, nothing that is super expensive. These are tried and true for me now, but at one time, I had to take the plunge and experiment. Right now on my list of new things to experiment with are a Yogurt Cheese Strainer and a Pie Crust Shield. I'll let you know how it goes.

Another weekend is upon us. Looks like it's going to rain here. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment