Monday, March 15, 2010

Ah, the Weird and Wonderful World of Antique Malls

While the spaghetti sauce with meatballs was happily bubbling in the crockpot, SO and I were out running around in the rain, scouring the antique malls of New Oxford, PA this weekend.

As it turns out, there are quite a few places to scour. It wasn't a big buying weekend for me -- I just got a small set of old metal double pointed knitting needles and an wooden child's clothes hanger (you wouldn't believe how expensive these can be!).

I saw many things of note and took some pics for TBD. So, without further ado, the pics --


Old Halloween stuff -- it's very surprising to me how much Halloween stuff is out there and how expensive it is!















Sorry for the lousy picture -- this was a handkerchief that someone had framed and it was rather high up on the wall so hard to take a good picture, but you can still see the sweet sentiments that someone carefully stitched:















I love old quilts and look at them everywhere. I confess to being somewhat partial to quilts from the thirties that have old feedsack in them. Often the feedsack was used to make clothing. Here's an item that combines all of that: an old quilt top that was made into a muumuu!!! I have rarely seen a less attractive piece of clothing. Although it was not very expensive, SO sort of discouraged me from buying it.














A pinecone duck with green eyes -- who made this and why???














I saw a fair number of armadillo purses, but only one of these -- It might be hard to tell from the picture, but it's an alligator claw purse -- ICKY!!!


















You know when you walk into a place that has a lot of glass cases with a few items on each shelf, it's going to be pricey. Here we have a set of three can openers made out of abalone shell in a fish shape. I believe the price was well over $100 -- they are cool, but not for that much!















And, here is the topper -- neither of these items by themselves would be picture worthy for this post, but the fact that the vendor displayed them together is what got my attention. Here we have a child's dress on the same hanger as a cat o nine tails whip! What is that all about???















Do I have the "eye" for the good stuff or what???

No comments:

Post a Comment