Thursday, March 18, 2010

Challenge: Tongue

In the interest of fair and balanced reporting for TBD, I bring you a post of a questionable nature. If you don't like the subject of organ meats, I urge you make pass on this post. If on the other hand, you are in this for the adventure, then scroll down...

SO is an open-minded person which is one of the many things that I love about him. But, we all have our limits, I suppose -- I know I do (in case you are wondering, I'm dead set against fanny packs). Well, it so happens that beef tongue pushes the outer limits for my SO and it so happens that we have a big one in the freezer. In case you are wondering, it looks like this:


















The tongue was part of the 1/2 of a steer that we got not too long ago. It is mysterious to me how the order was for 1/2 of the steer, but we got the whole tongue. Not knowing much about tongue, perhaps I should be glad we got the whole thing.

At first, SO said he was not eating it, but last night he softened up a little and said he'd try it but if he didn't like it, I should not be disappointed.

What a challenge for me! I think I've only tasted it by accident once...so I'm really in the land of the lost here -- I don't even know how it's supposed to come out.

I've consulted a few cookbooks and here are some options:

Spiced Beef Tongue

Tongue Dinner cooked in Cider

Braised Calf's Tonue with Red Wine and Onions

Boiled Beef Tongue (Basic Recipe) - Serves 12 people...good luck getting that group together. Directions involve pressing into shape for serving -- scary.

Beef Tongue with Raisin Sauce

Sweet and Sour Tongue

Braised Tongue with Olives -- automatically a no-go -- SO doesn't like olives. I have to stack the deck in my favor better than this.

Braised Tongue with Vegetables -- calls for "hot tongue liquid" -- sounds dirty

Tongue with Potatoes

Tongue a La Maryland -- Includes cherries -- is that the "Maryland" part?


The more I type the word "tongue", the stranger is looks. I'm off to check it out on the internet today. Perhaps I can find a recipe stuffed with crabmeat or something.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment