Friday, January 29, 2010

Patience is a Virtue except as it comes to Beef


Did I mention that SO and I are waiting for a side of beef to be butchered?





Yes, we have one on order with a local farm that raises its livestock without hormones, antibiotics, etc. I've been talking with the farmer off and on over the last couple of months and a few weeks ago we had the final conversation about how many steaks, what thickness, number of roasts, kebabs, etc.

I thought it would be ready by now and we'd have gone through the process of stashing all of this stuff but I'm still waiting. And, now I'm getting a little impatient and at the same time, I've let it go because SO is getting ready to do a lot of travelling and our ability to deal with this is going to go to zero until things calm down for him. So, the meat may sit frozen in the farmer's meat locker for a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I've been noting beef recipes when looking through cookbooks. This is also why SO bought a smoker so that we can do justice to the briskets.

There so much waiting in winter: waiting for the weather to get better, waiting for more daylight, waiting to be able to start planting things...and on top of all of that, I'm waiting for the beef AND for some crazy rare yarn I ordered that's pretty rare. I'm not wishing the time away; in fact, I take some perverse pleasure in the torture of the waiting.

And, at least, I'm not waiting for my refrigerator anymore or the cat to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment