Thursday, January 28, 2010

CL's Masterpiece

I took photos last night of all the blocks from the redwork quilt I bought over the weekend. There are 35 different embroidered designs featuring many different types of flowers, animals, children and fruit. Some of the work is simple (see the rabbit below) and some quite detailed (the cradle, for example). I imagine that the maker started making the simple designs and progressed onto the more difficult ones as her skills improved.

I tackled the challenge of washing the quilt the other night. I always approach these tasks with a lot of trepidation. I use a vintage fabric textile soak which miraculously takes out the brownish stains in the light fabrics, but if you are not careful how you arrange the item in the soaking liquid, I've had colors bleed -- which then becomes another project with which to contend. This time I was very conservative and only soaked the quilt for four hours. The whole thing gave me a heart attack when I drained the water from the tub and saw that the stains looked worse than when I started! Thankfully, upon drying, the remaining stains were not so noticeable and I decided that they give the quilt character and not to go any further with the washing process.

Here then is a sample of CL's work -- at least the maker signed and dated the quilt:



Who was "CL"?
















I think this is supposed to be one of the "Three Little Pigs" as redwork quilting often featured characters from nursery rhymes.





Love the detail on this one!


CL was really getting good by the time she/he did this.















The quilt would not be complete without a couple of chickens. Was CL inspired by chickens in the backyard?


















"Alice in Wonderland" perhaps?














Finally, a shot of the whole thing -- Sorry, I do not have a spot in the house where I could lay it out and capture it in its entirety.

I'm not sure where CL's Masterpiece is going to live permanently. Right now, it's serving as a tablecloth on my dining room table. It's a nice Valentine-sy kind of feel with the red and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment