Sunday, January 24, 2010

Winter Treasure Hunting

Here at Broken Dishes headquarters, one of our core values is the continual taking on of QUESTS for THINGS. Luckily, the winter is perfect questing time -- the prevalence of dreariness affords one the opportunity for performing extensive research and having lengthy discussions with one's questing partner over various details, minutiae and conjecture regarding "the plan(s)" aka escapades.

Over the past two weekends, SO and I have been busying breaking in the new smoker where the mission is to duplicate our favorite BBQ joint meats at home. Last week it was chicken wings and jalapeno poppers; this week it was Baby Back Ribs:



Looks good, huh? I rubbed the rack the night before and let the rub sit on the ribs overnight.

Now, what you can't see is that it is raining a little bit and technically, the smoker is not supposed to be out in the rain. Since it wasn't a full out rain, we decided to create a tent for the smoker:










And too bad you can't hear my rendition of "The Cookshack" sung to the tune of "Loveshack"...


The ribs turned out really well! 4 hours at 225 degrees. No BBQ sauce needed!


Also, over the weekend, we rescued some items from the evil clutches of the antique malls:


My big splurge was the quilt -- it's red work from 1930 -- in perfect shape with beautiful needle work. We are going to wash it and luckily, there are minimal tears or threadbare areas. I always look at old quilts and have a few already. I always see something I like when we go out but I never buy. Since I've never seen any full sized perfect pieces done in red work, I took the plunge. I also found some old, hand carved knittig needles. SO got a jar -- we've been hunting jars heavily recently. I knew when I saw this one, it would capture his fancy.

And...to my great delight, we found a teriffic yarn store and I bought a few things there:














As you can see, it was a good weekend or the fulfillment of certain quests; however, many quests are still active and we acquired a couple of new ones -- now, we are hunting a pair of old ski poles and dying to find a bargain on the book, "The Principles of Knitting"...Oh, and getting ready to smoke a salmon and waiting for that side of beef to come from the butcher...

No comments:

Post a Comment