Monday, January 18, 2010

For a Noble Cause

Living in Baltimore, I have not escaped the fever that grips my town when the Ravens play. In fact, I can now show up to the office on "Purple Friday" wearing attire that seems to fit in. So, upon being invited to watch the game at some friends' house on Saturday night, it seemed natural to do something consistent with the theme.

When I suggested a "football cake" to my SO, he got right into it with me.

I have pictures, but first I have to make a confession: I sort of flunked my Wilton cake decorating class a number of years ago. It's just not my thing even though it's something that I WANT to be my thing. Oh, how I would love to daintily turn out frosting roses like I'd been doing it my whole life! Why am I not the star of "Charm City Cakes"???

Anyway, the cakes that I produced as part of my cake decorating class were so bad that at more than one class, the teacher took over what I was doing to "fix" my project. I used to take the cakes into work so that they weren't hanging around the house to tempt me and I would overhear people saying things like, "What is that thing?" I guess grey icing doesn't appeal to many people.

Now, without further ado, the before and after of the "Football Cake":














SO did the carving -- I was responsible for creating the beautiful shade of purple for the frosting and giving the cake its base layer.














SO also did the white striping and added the texture. I made the coconut-green grass.


Later we both laughed when each of us admitted that at first we were both secretly pessimistic...

In the end, the cake was a big hit at the party. Maybe I do have a future in cakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment