Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crazyland

In my quest to preserve and delight in traditional ways of doing things, I confess I do get a bit overzealous at times. In fact, sometimes I know I'm verging into "crazyland". If I have any doubts, I can always confirm my suspicions by the looks on other people's faces when I tell them what I'm up to.

I stepped off the edge last week when I caught a fever and ordered the rarest yarn of all: Vicuna. Purported to be the yummiest yarn possible, I took the plunge and ordered one little ridiculously expensive ball -- all of one ounce, barely enough to make a little scarf -- with no choice of color other than "natural". The hook: it comes from a wild animal that is an ancient relative of the camel from the Peruvian Andes. They have to catch the animal, shave the belly for the fiber, then release the animal and can't re-harvest for three years. It came on Monday:














You can't really tell how small this is -- maybe it's the size of a small peach. I have a little lace scarf pattern designed for wild yak that is supposed to work for this too. This proves for once and for all, that when it comes to yarn, I have no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment