Monday, January 11, 2010

What the World Needs Now is More KNITTING

Yarn: Spud & Chloe, Outer in Peat

Yarn: Spud & Chloe, Outer in Peat and Soapstone

Yarn: Cascade Fixation, Lavendar












Thus are the projects I've completed so far this year.

You can see I've been on a tear so far this year which is just a continuation of the tear that I was on last year (particularly in the fall when I was getting ready for the holidays).

One regret I have from last year is that I didn't document my knitting projects as I completed them. I just kept racing along like knitting was going out of style. I accomplished a lot -- many pairs of socks, a half a dozen or so scarves, a big wrap, some mittens, some hats, some toys. I'm sure the count is something like two dozen completed projects and there were a couple big, complicated projects.

I have scads of hand-knitted socks now and have given away a fair number of pairs as gifts. Universally, once someone puts on a pair, they are ruined forever for commercially knit socks. There's nothing like the softness and fit of the hand-knitted sock. I have a lot of them but I do treasure them and can now delight in being able to find a pair to match just about anything I want to wear.

I was never much of a hat wearer but I have to say now that I have some beautiful, soft, hand-knitted hats, I'm converting (of course, it could also be just getting to a certain age and giving up having "perfect hair").

I even bought an old suitcase to put my yarn stash in -- it gives the stash a cool place to hang out and I have set a rule that I must not buy beyond what I can fit in the suitcase so it's keeping my accumulation of yarn under control. There are simply endless amounts of gorgeous yarn to buy but one must exercise SOME restraint.

I treasure all of my knitted objects and hope that the recipients of my knitted gifts are just as delighted.

And, I have really, really GOOD NEWS: I paid for my farm share today. That means that warmer weather is on its way! The farm sent out a great email describing the new plants they are putting in (raspberries, blueberries, double the strawberries, many more varieties of tomatoes). It's cold as the dickens outside today but with putting up my money for the farm share, I'm ushering in the sunny days.

No comments:

Post a Comment