Monday, August 2, 2010

The Current Quest and a Few Side Quests

I'm in the middle of planning a large project which is in honor of all the ugly crocheted things I find at yard sales. I have about two months till it's time to put it out to the world, so I'm on a mad quest to find items to incorporate. So, Saturday, out we went into the yard/garage sale world to find things to add, but you have to be flexible about buying other things because yard sale-ing is a completely opportunistic thing.

So, first up was this dandy box of shells for $2:


What you can't see is that there were two large clam shells with decoupage of the three wise men first going to the nativity scene and then at the nativity scene -- sorry no pic of that. I went through and sorted them out so I know what I have and a couple of the large shells already made it out to the Frogtowne Faerie Patch. More shells will be used for faerie dwellings later.






Now, isn't she a beauty? But, why did I buy this?!?! Frankly, there were two other things I wanted at this garage sale: (1) a sofa in the shape of a set of lips covered in red velvet. I knew that was asking for big trouble so I didn't even start discussing a price; and (2) an end table that would have been great in my bedroom which I thought the price was $5 and didn't see the "0" after the "5". Good thing SO caught me on that one before I started trying to get the thing for $5! So, to appease myself, I bought this weird thing instead for $7. It came with the dress which is handsewn and quite old (from the 30's?). I will put it in the corner in my sewing room -- where I'm rapidly running out of room due to my love of old suitcases.





Now, here is the main event. These piles were culled from countless stops along the way on Saturday. This represents a lot of tracking down. There were more to be had but the sellers wanted too much. I say that now, but after some more thought I believe I might have passed up a few things that I should have taken. Oh, well, there will be more.

We did go out yesterday as well. Originally in search of a mythical yard sale that promised some unusual items, but we got side tracked. The diversion yielded some fruit but no crocheted items. There's always next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment