Thursday, August 12, 2010

This Ain't No Disco, This Ain't No Country Club

Long day yesterday -- up early to the gym, then work, then met a friend for dinner, then dance class, then stopped by another friend's house to see a renovation project on my way home of 35 miles...Had it my mind to go right to bed when I got home.

BUT...

I forgot that the granola bars I was attempting to make were sitting in the dehydrator waiting to be packaged up for our trip tomorrow...

I thought, "Oh, come on, you can do it. This won't take long. Don't let it sit till the morning." So, I took the granola out of the dehydrator and they looked like this:













And, then, they didn't. As I went to flip them onto a cutting board, half of the "bars" went sailing onto the floor and suddenly there were many piles of sticky oats, dried fruit and nuts all over the kitchen floor when what I wanted most was to go to bed. To make matters worse, the cat wanted to eat the stuff on the floor so I had to get her disinterested fast. Something tells me that while she might like the taste, her system would not be so about crazy it. Realizing that I might have further spillage, I got up the big stuff and put off the vacuuming till I was done with the packaging.

Next, came out the vacuum sealer which had to be unearthed from the depths of the cabinet in my butcher block island. Then, it wouldn't work -- it's old and has gotten quite fussy and based upon last night's experience, I believe it's high time for a new one. But, in the meantime, over and over I messed around with that thing to get the granola "bars" sealed up.

I keep writing "bars" because they aren't really bars -- this stuff is more like big chunks of granola -- it didn't hold together enough to be deemed a "bar".

I'd gotten the idea to vacuum seal them from some internet post I'd read (of course) and thought it might be good since I wanted to take these with us on the trip. The internet post failed to mention that the vacuum sealing process sort of affects them like a ham-fisted man crushing a beer can.

Oh, well, I know they will still taste good.

Glad I didn't try to tackle the beef jerky project too!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment