Monday, January 31, 2011

Cauldron Bake and Cauldron Bubble

I have long harbored the desire to get the sourdough thing right. Last month, amongst other objectives, I decided to put fermented dough back on the list. Luckily, I managed to get SO interested in this project since he's much better growing things than I am. About three weeks ago, we got going with a batch of starter and unlike my prior attempts, we did not end up with a big bowl of badly smelling glue. Instead, as of yesterday, we have this:












As soon as we could, we baked up a couple of test loaves and they were good, but our socks weren't knocked off. SO likes to make pizza and I suggested that he use the starter in his pizza dough.

And, a star was born!!!










SO has been producing some awesome pizzas with the sourdough crust. It is indescribably delicious! Saturday night, we put together a BBQ Chicken Pizza:

Another smashing success!!!









But, of course, I am never one to leave well enough alone. The existing starter, named Glenville, now has some competition brewing:


This is San Fran -- which came from a box of starter I ordered that is supposed to be real San Francisco sourdough starter. We'll see. SO already had to give San Fran a boost of honey to get her going. Right now, they are both living in the kitchen, but I wouldn't say it's peaceful co-existence. They have to be separated by several feet at all times so they don't inbreed.

Do you think SO would kill me if I ordered a box of Alaskan sourdough starter too?

No comments:

Post a Comment