Thursday, February 3, 2011

In Which I Become a Shepardess

Last night we saw "The Black Swan" in which a woman descends into madness while trying to be a perfect ballerina. I'm not sure I liked the movie although the Black Swan's eye makeup was certainly interesting. Don't we all question our sanity at times though?

For example, I decided to make the winter "interesting" by taking a class to make the sweater from the Lillehammer Olympics -- it's all color work and not knitting that you can just sitting around doing while you are chatting it up with other people. This is cavewoman knitting where you have to go off and CONCENTRATE. Now I have to get all the knitting done to the armpits within a month. That might not sound bad, but this is fine yarn with a small needle and four colors...

I guess during all the snow and ice in between classes, I kind of forgot about that commitment and last Sunday, I agreed to adopt a sheep this year and went out to the farm to meet and name my girl. This will take just a few hours on a Sunday once a month throughout the whole year -- it's heavy on the animal husbandry info but I do get the whole fleece of my sheep which was the hook.

I had two choices of sheep (all the other unnamed sheep were already spoken for).

First up was this beauty:

Her fleece will be nice and fluffy and very light. This is what I wanted but the other woman I was competing with really wanted her also.









This was the other choice -- a fat, brownish Shetland who, on top of her appearance, was very, very shy.


They are all cute, but if my end game was to be able to dye this fleece any color I want, this is not the sheep for me.









In the end I was able to persuade the farmer to put another sheep in the program that will have beautiful white fleece -- her name is Tulip and I didn't get a good picture so her internet unveiling will have to wait till another time.

But, in the interest of having at least three pictures for this post, I snapped off this shot of some dudes hanging out on a tractor at the farm:



They, like all of us, are just wishing and hoping for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment