Thursday, February 4, 2010

You May Be Wrong, But You May Be Right

Behold -- The first completed knitting project of February 2010!!!













In an effort to have a thematically compatible knitted object for the month, I whipped up this hat this week. It's super cute on and very warm (wore it to the gym this morning), but alas, it has a HUGE mistake.

I was delighted to be finishing this last night, but highly dismayed to find that I made it incorrectly. You see, the way I read the directions (too fast, evidently), I thought I was supposed to knit in knit 1, purl 1 rib knit the whole way up until the decreases at the top...WRONG. I was only supposed to do that for four rows (about 1 inch instead of the 7 inches that I did). I discovered this when studying the picture for the placement of the heart on a string. Then, I re-read the directions and saw that I just blatantly didn't read the directions closely enough.

On the other hand, the hat looks good and fits really nicely because of all the ribbing so maybe it's not so wrong. Let's just call it my accidental interpretation, OK?

So, maybe it was wrong, but now, maybe it is right.

In the meantime, I've embarked on the Master Knitter's Course, Level 1. I have to make 16 swatches plus a hat sometime over the course of the next year. There's not "maybe wrong, but maybe right" with this. The package gets shipped off to some panel of judges and if anything is slightly different (wrong?) from the directions, it gets bounced back to be redone. Paying attention will be critical here to getting through this in a reasonable length of time.

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment