Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's All About the Journey...

There are certain things that we say in our culture that I'm not always crazy to hear. One is, "Everything turns out the way it should, you'll see." This is said when things aren't going well and someone wants to cheer you up and if you are busy wallowing in your own misery, it's hard to believe.

Another one is, "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey" -- again, when you are slogging away, wallowing in misery during the "journey" (like losing weight and depriving yourself of Mrs. Martin's Jalapeno Potato Chips, for example), it's hard to take comfort in that statement.

But, today, I feel differently about wanting a destination. Today, I want a journey back for today I finished my seven month project of listening to all the Harry Potter books on CD. Wah...as much as I wanted to get to the end, I wish it wasn't over!!!













I'm done. I finished this morning on my early morning jaunt back from SO's house. I knew the end was coming, but still...these CDs have been my constant car companion since last summer. I remember when I started, it seemed like such a mountain of listening and now, it's done.

Back in the summer, after seeing one of the movies, I decided to commit to the whole series but knew that I wouldn't be able to get them all read in a decent amount of time so I settled on listening to them in the car and liked the idea of having the company while shuttling back and forth to SO's. I borrowed the CDs from the library and found the series impressive. On top of the great writing by J. K. Rowling, the whole CD series was read by one person, Jim Dale, who did ALL the voices throughout. Each book alone was a minimum of about ten hours of recordings and one of the books was 22 CDs. The last book was 17 CDs and took me about six weeks to listen to. Amazing. Can't imagine what it was like to produce something like that.

Being done is bittersweet; however, I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction that losing 25 pounds will be nothing but joyous...

No comments:

Post a Comment