Thursday, February 11, 2010

On Again, Off Again

In between bouts of working on my light blue seed stitch hoodie sweater, I take on side projects to break up the endless straight knitting -- last night I completed the first of a pair of socks that are my current "side project":
















A few comments about this sock:

1. The yarn comes from a flat panel instead of a ball -- the panels are hand-painted so each one is different. They are quite fun to work with because you can't imagine how it's going to look.

2. I thought the resulting sock would be more red than grey...I was going for something more Valentine-sy again...I didn't get that but at least, the sock is wintry and I felt I needed more dark colored socks for my hand-knitted sock collection.

3. I ran out of yarn; thus, the black toe. Because of the way the panel is dyed, I could tell when I needed to stop in order to have enough to make the other sock -- which will also need a black toe.

4. The big confession is that the black toe is cotton/spandex while the flat panel yarn is wool. The cotton/spandex yarn was all I had on hand to make the fix with and I'm too impatient to wait till I can get to the store to get compatible wool. P.S.: I cook the same way. I call this approach "The Frankenstein Method".

5. I need the side projects to keep up my spirits, but it makes me feel like I'm cheating on my main project. Still, I need the diversion so I have to put a lid on my guilt.

Below is a "Before/After" picture:














Now, I have to give the hoodie some real TLC and then can start the mate to this sock.

If you are on the east coast, have fun digging out of the snow today!

No comments:

Post a Comment