Monday, October 18, 2010

Hot Ghetto Mess "Art" Yarn

Somehow this year, I've been fitting in learning how to spin yarn. I've taken some classes and bought all the stuff. I don't care to learn how to spin yarn to knit a sweater -- I'm only in this to spin visually interesting and electic but not highly useful art yarn.

Finally, things have settled down enough that I was able to spend some time last night to further this new passion.

I first organized a bunch of beads that I've accumulated along the way. I couldn't just spin without having all my supplies organized first...otherwise, known as a delay tactic.

Then, I looked at the pile of little bits and clumps of free fleece that I had -- none of it combed so not easy to spin and decided I had to run all of it through the drum carder first to smooth it out. Drum carding is fun anyway and my little drum carder is very light and easy to set up.

So, the fleece was ready, the beads were organized and without anymore reason to delay, I got going.

To my most delightful surprise, I was able to spin a continous strand without much trouble even though I haven't spun anything for about a month and a half and it was iffy then.

After I spun all I had of some muddy grey/brown fleece I'd carded, I went back and plyed it with some bright orange beads I threaded onto some yellow cotton thread. You have to know I was not going for beauty or any visual appeal -- just practicing with junk I had on hand.

This was the result:


















So, there's maybe a 1% chance you are thinking, "Wow!!!! What are you going to make with that unique, one of a kind, designer yarn? A hat, a scarf, a hat and a scarf, mittens, a bag?? The possibilities must be endless!"

All good questions, however, in the interest in full disclosure, I have to show you this picture taken at SO's suggestion:




Yes, after a night of devoting myself to doing this, I end up with a very small ball of yarn. I offered it to SO who wasn't quite sure what to do with it and suggested that I might regret gifting away my first successful solo attempt. I asked if he said that to his kids when they brought home their art projects from school. We then agreed that the first art yarn would look good in one of his jars of little odds and ends that he collects.



So, mark this post and let's see how my work looks a year from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment