Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas on a $1!

Hey, calling all you budget-minded readers, let me introduce you to Christmas on a $1! Yes, you heard correctly: one dollar!!

This year, SO and I started the tradition that one of our gifts to one another had to cost a dollar or less. This sort of started out as a little joke, but then turned into a competition to see who could come up with the most spectacular $1 present.

The history of this goes back a few months ago when we went to an estate auction and I bought a set of three paint by numbers paintings for $1. There were two small ones and one large one -- all winter scenes. I knew immediately that I wanted to small ones for my guest bathroom and that I was going to set aside the large one for SO because he's been aiming towards decorating one of his bedrooms with a winter theme (old skis, ice skates, etc.). I figured it would be kind of funny to hide it away till Christmas and then spring it on him. Unusually, he forgot all about the third painting when he was hanging the two little ones for me.

Then, before Thanksgiving, we were putting up all the winter stuff and there was the need for the picture. I said, "OK, I guess I will give you one of your Christmas presents early." SO protested, thinking I was giving up something of great value before the big day. I sheepishly replied that he was getting his 33 cent present and reminded him of the picture.

At that point, we looked at each other and decided that there should always be a present for a $1 or less at Christmas.

Here is SO's 33 cent picture:














Now, SO was not to be outdone! Yesterday we were at an auction and he scored my $1 Christmas present:



This mirror is huge!!! It hardly fit into the Mini. I don't know how I will top this next year, but luckily, I can get started hoarding a year in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment