Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Won't Be Quitting My Day Job

Back in my younger days (about 17 years ago), I thought perhaps I would learn how to decorate cakes and have some cute little side business in making cakes...and I would be so fabulous that I would be able to quit working in an office and just make beautiful cakes.

So, I enrolled in a six week Wilton cake decorating class which met one night per week. For each class, we had to bake a cake in advance and mix up a large tub of a buttercream frosting that either had a lot of butter or Crisco or both.

For the first week, I prepared my cake and frosting over the weekend so that I could dash out the door to make the class after dinner. I remember there were problems right out of the gate when I got to the first class and discovered that my frosting tub was only about half full because my then-husband had eaten a large quantity of the frosting (frosting was a food group for him).

Things didn't get much better as things progressed each week. I was constantly getting remedial lessons from the teacher who usually would just take over and frost the cake out of her own frustration with my lack of aptitude.

I know it was hopeless when even the people at work wouldn't eat these cake-things that I was making -- and it wasn't that they tasted badly, they just looked horrific (think about grey icing).

So, I let that little dream float away like a balloon.

Last week SO purchased a pan that makes 9 little Easter egg cakes and we decided that for Easter, they would be carrot cake and then decorated. So, yesterday, I spent a couple of hours decorating the cakes. Yes, you read that right, it was a couple of hours.

Behold!















Honestly, I didn't have the best tools at my disposal. I didn't pay enough attention to what kinds of tips I needed, etc. No, a cake decorator, I am not. Most decidedly, NOT. It's a good reminder that I'm much better off doing my regular office job. The pay is not bad and sometimes I can tell that I even do it pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment