Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why "The Broken Dishes"?

Legend has it that the great zen monk (Achaan Chan) would hold up a tea cup and say, "To me this cup is already broken" as a reflection upon impermanence. The implication is that we are to learn how to embrace and accept that things will be broken or lost, so that we can appreciate the preciousness of what comes to us and goes from us. We'd know that whatever comes to us is always a precious and temporary gift.

It seems to me, then, the next step is to cherish our precious and temporary gifts whether they are people, places or things. Here is where the point of view of this blog begins about my own culinary passion. I seek out and treasure things done with integrity and respect whether it be for how food stuffs are produced, exploring new or old ways of doing things, or paying homage to others with a similar point of view. These, then, are my "broken dishes".

No comments:

Post a Comment