Monday, November 23, 2009

Karen Called, Said Your Turkey is Ready for Pick up

Tomorrow I pick up the fresh turkey for Thursday. Also, tomorrow, the fresh dates from the little farm in California are set to arrive. Yesterday we went to the grocery store to get various things still needed for the holiday. I dug out my bread machine tonight as there is a request for homemade raisin bread. And, I dug out my favorite cherry (as in "sour cherry") pie recipe. The wine is already selected. I checked the tablecloth, candlesticks, etc. Things are looking good for Thursday.

Why do I have to work? Why can't I just stay home and play in my kitchen? Why, why, why??? If I could, I'm sure I would pierce a few more things and let my hair go really wild...

I have made a decision and it's a timely one: I think Thanksgiving is the best holiday of all! It doesn't showcase my favorite foods (I'd give Easter the edge there because of the ham, potato salad, and of course, the chocolate), but it's a holiday that everyone can appreciate. Case in point, I went to get my nails done tonight and the nail tech was asking me a lot of questions about what am I cooking, who is coming, etc. and she's only been in this country for about a year and a half -- raised on the other side of the world, speaking a different language up until the last 18 months, completely different culture and yes, she is into Thanksgiving. She's got her meal planned and is good to go. I don't think this would be the case with any of the other holidays commonly celebrated here.

One thing I will be rolling out on Thursday is my pickled eggplant. It's been curing for two months in an antique crock that I have just for this purpose. The eggplant were first salted for a day, then soaked in vinegar for a day, then seasoned with chopped garlic, oregano, hot pepper and black pepper and covered in olive oil. It's a very old-fashioned process, but it's relatively easy. And, I have a fan base for this stuff. I packed up a box and sent it off to some friends last week so it's in time for the holiday.

Stay tuned for a report later this week -- did I mention the turkey is going to be deep-fried?

No comments:

Post a Comment