Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What's One Miracle You've Experienced?

I have to pick just one?

I'm going to cheat and pick two: (1) My Sour Cherry Pie recipe that I'm making this week; and (2) don't hate me for this one -- being a regular exerciser for over 7 years.

I was just thinking this morning at the gym that pretty soon it will be 8 years and that is getting close to a decade. Geez...you'd think I'd look like a supermodel or something -- uh, not even close. But, part of the miracle is that as an exerciser, I'm less critical of my body. I guess all the weight training and exercising has put me more in the mindset of being in partnership with my body rather than at odds.

The subset miracle about the exercising is that I found out this morning that my shoulders, which are usually the weakest area for a woman, are comparatively very strong (did the trainer use the word "abnormal"?). I guess it should not be a surprise because I love to train shoulders more than anything!!! I love the shoulder press best of all.

So, here I am with this body -- almost 47 now -- many imperfections going on, everyday is different between water weight, hormones, etc. and our culture tells me to look down on myself because I don't look like people on tv. I'm not saying I'm immune to falling prey to the allure of wanting to shop in the 5-7-9 shop. It does get to me sometimes. But, there are many moments like this morning when I'm so grateful that it brings tears to my eyes that I have a body that gets me around and works with me to do the things I have to do and want to do. There's no getting back the fleeting features of my body in my 20's. I rail against the idea that we spend so much of our lives now being middle-aged and then old and not having a beautiful, young body any longer, but that is really blowing against the wind.

Thank you, Body, for putting up with me. I haven't always been good to you, but everyday you try your best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment