Monday, November 16, 2009

Shopping for a Thanksgiving Turkey

We are deep-frying a turkey this year. This will be a new experience for me and I'm looking forward to it. I should also add that the whole Thanksgiving event is very special this year because I will be with my SO and his son and daughter for the first time.

Of course, I want to add some little special touches to the day and when I got an email from my CSA, One Straw Farm, informing the members of the opportunity for a fresh, hormone and antibiotic free grass fed turkey, I jumped at the chance. So, instead of going to the supermarket and buying a commercially grown and processed bird, I called the farm to discuss my turkey.

I ended up having an interesting and rather lengthy conversation with Karen Albright of Albright Farms and 30 minutes later, I put down the deposit over the phone and finalized my turkey commitment.

Karen impressed me in her description of the commitment she and her husband have regarding every aspect of the animal's life. At some point in the conversation she said that they do everything the hard way -- the hard way being the best way for the animal and the consumer. It may not make them rich, but they are operating with the highest integrity.

The turkey will cost me more. It's almost three times the price of what I could pay at the supermarket. But, Thanksgiving is special and what Albright Farms is doing is special. In keeping with the spirit of this blog, by going this route, I'm demonstrating my appreciation for my circumstances and for what the Albrights are doing at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment