Sunday, February 6, 2011

Takes My Breath Away...

We are nursing auction "hangovers" this morning. The weather is lousy so it was a perfect time to spend the whole day at an auction. We got there at 7:30 AM, checked out everything, and were ready when the auction went off at 9:00 AM.

Mid-afternoon, I indicated to SO that while there were a couple of things left I wanted, I was willing to leave at any time (I'd spent enough!). SO convinced me to hang in there...

At the end, I scored a bag of old lace for $4. It looked old and ratty....but, when I got home and took everything out of the lace bag, I couldn't believe my eyes: it was all hand-made using a tatting shuttle...and the tatting shuttle was included! The workmanship simply took my breath away. I just wish I knew who this person was...assuming it was a woman, what was her life like?


Look how tiny! How much patience this took...














I was thrilled to see the colored cotton thread too.











And, here is her shuttle with a little bit of lace still attached that she was working on before she set it aside the last time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how lovely! I learned to tat with a plastice tatting shuttle...mine was red though, LOL! Now I have so many tatting shuttles I don't know what to do with them, LOL!
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete