Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Lucky Charm

I make no secret on this blog that I'm completely head over heels crazy about knitting and all things related. But, my passion doesn't always translate into actually producing the most beautiful things.

There have been flops -- Like the time I thought I could save money on sock yarn and bought cheap cotton yarn from a craftstore to knit some socks. Now, I do have a big foot, but the socks would fit Bozo the Clown. Such experiences are the worst because of all the time invested.

The fact is that you can knit a swatch to check the holy trinity -- the combination of the yarn, needles and your hands and trick yourself into thinking that you've got the gauge correct only to find at the end of the project that you once again flung yourself into the abyss: the item doesn't fit the way you want. Now you are out potentially a lot of cash and time and to complete the experience, another dashed dream!!!

But, I now have the perfect talisman to ward off such occurrences. For my birthday, my insightful and sweet SO gave me an ancient canopa carved in the shape of a llama:













Here's the history:

Ancient Pre-Columbian stone "canopa" or votive offering from the Inca culture. Ca. 14th-15th century from Peru or Bolivia. Canopas fell into two categories. Ones with hollowed out holes on the back were used as offerings by the Inca to insure fertility and good crops by filling the opening with tallow and burying in the field. Those without the holes were prized personal items and carried with the owner as a good-luck talisman.


I believe that now as I pursue my might mission to fill the world with knitted objects, I am safe from the harm of the Flop-Demon as long as I pray before the canopa before I cast on.

No comments:

Post a Comment