Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Color Purple

Weeks ago, a friend asked if I would spin some yarn for her from some fleece she was given by an alpaca farmer. She gleefully handed me a packet of about 8 oz. of purple fleece.

It is beautiful but not ready to be made into yarn -- alpaca by itself isn't the greatest yarn because it doesn't have memory like wool does. So, a knitted item will just stretch out of shape...and stay that way.

I ordered a little bit of white shetland wool fleece and finally, yesterday, I had a chance to color it purple by dyeing it on the stove with pleasing results:










Also, I got a chance to use an Xmas present from SO -- a fleece drying rack that he made for me. The fleece is still drying but soon I will be able to make my friend's yarn. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment