Thursday, December 10, 2009

One and One Make Three


If you've been to San Francisco, you probably have seen this scene of the sea lions lounging together on the pier -- comfortably piled alongside and almost on top of one another.

Last night, my SO and I were putting together a couple of large pans of lasagna together for the weekend and at one point he said something like, "I'm probably in your way." My answer was, "no, you are never in my way". The moment reminded me of the sea lions. Maybe it looks like they are in each other's way but they know that they are not. They know it's the way it's meant to be.

One of the reasons this blog exists is it's a way for me to talk about my cooking experiences and cooking with someone else is an entirely different experience than cooking alone. I've done a lot of cooking alone and because of it, I have acquired some skill and knowledge. Unfortunately, sometimes people will shy away from cooking with me because of it. If they only knew that deep in my heart, what I want most is someone to cook with me. Everytime I step into the kitchen, I learn something and with someone else there, it doubles the opportunity for that and the fun quotient goes way up.

This weekend we will be making a lot of Christmas cookies which I love to do as a group. Some friends and I got together several years in a row and had a system for doing this. Then, we all had life changes and we were no longer able to do this. I miss them and our cookie days. One year I made ugly aprons for everyone (the worst fabric I could find from the discount table at the fabric store and I made them reversible so everyone really got two ugly aprons!) and that was really fun too.

So, I'm looking forward to making new memories this year. We've got a big line up of cookies coming: Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Peanut Blossoms, Lemon Bars, and my favorite, Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls. I wish I'd had time to whip up some ugly aprons -- note to self: make ugly aprons sometime during 2010 so I will have a stash ready to go next year. I've got my Christmas CDs all organized and ready to go though.

Never enough time to do all the things you want to do, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment